What is the PE and Sport Premium and why has it been introduced?
Sports Premium is the funding provided by the Government Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport in order to improve the quality of sport and Physical Education in Primary Schools. Each school receives £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil from Years 1 to 6. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. The money will be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability.
Cavendish Primary School uses the Sports Premium funding according to the following principles:
- Ensuring a focus on the delivery of high quality PE teaching which raises achievement and increases rates of participation and meets the needs of all our learners.
- Providing unique opportunities through PE and Sport for children to learn about healthy lifestyles and develop personal qualities such as self-confidence, resilience, leadership, initiative and self-control.
- Extending our offer and pupil participation in extra and additional curricular PE and Sports activities.
- Enhancing links with other schools and organisation in the wider community through engagement in competitive sports events.
- Enhancing our lunchtime sports provision.
Cavendish Primary School received a total amount of £17,730 for the financial year 2018-19. This represents an allocation of £16000.00 plus an additional £10 per pupil for 173 children.
Use of Funding and Outcomes
For 2018-19 Sports Premium has been allocated to the following areas
- Providing additional training for teachers and coaches in order to improve the quality of teaching in gymnastics and dance
- Accessing opportunities for more children to engage in competitive activities and events across a range of sports
- Enhancing the quantity and quality of our PE resources
- Funding extra and additional sports clubs including lunch times
The impact of the funding in 2017-18 has led to the following outcomes:
- An increase in the proportion of pupils participating extra and additional sports activities
- Improvements to the quality of PE games teaching
- Enhancement and renewal of PE resources and equipment