Year 6 SATs 2017 - Information for Parents/Carers
Year 6 will be taking their Standard Attainment Tests (SATs) during the week beginning Monday 8th May 2017.
Please be aware that pupils will be tested on the new National Curriculum which was first introduced in 2014. This means that there is a higher level of expectation and challenge.
There are several other changes for SATs which were introduced in 2016:
- A stronger emphasis on comprehension and fictional texts in the reading test
- A requirement for pupils to know and apply more technical terminology as part of the grammar and punctuation test
- A new arithmetic paper which replaces the mental mathematics test
- The removal of separate tests for higher achievers. Higher order skills are now tested as part of all the papers
- A new scaled scoring system. This means that the number of marks gained will be converted into a scaled score. A scaled score of 100 will show there a pupil is working at at Age Related Expectation (ARE). The range of scaled scores will be published by the Department of Education after the tests have been completed and marked.
In order to help you in supporting your child through the SATs experience, we have attached a number of documents and links below:
If you have any concerns about the SATs or require any further information, please contact the school office to make an appointment with your child's class teacher.
Thank you for your interest and support.